Time: 15 mins prep - 30 mins cook
- 75g dairy-free butter or olive oil
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 4 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 60g plain flour
- 200ml white wine
- 700ml unsweetened soya or almond milk
- 1 tbsp miso paste
- ½ tsp smoked paprika
- ½ tsp garlic granules
- 500g spaghetti
- 240g frozen peas
- 1 tbsp capers
- chopped fresh parsley, to serve
- For the mushroom ‘bacon’
- 240g shiitake mushrooms, sliced
- 4 tbsp reduced-salt soy sauce
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- ¾ tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp garlic granules
- First, make the mushroom 'bacon'. Preheat the oven to gas 6, 200°C, fan 180°C. Put the mushrooms in a small bowl with the soy sauce, oil, paprika, garlic granules, and ¼ tsp black pepper; stir to coat. Set aside to marinate for 15 mins. Spread evenly over a lined baking sheet and bake for 30 mins, then set aside.
- Heat the dairy-free butter or oil in a saucepan over a medium-high heat. Add the onion and garlic and fry for 3 mins until they begin to turn translucent. Stir in the flour then gradually add the wine, whisking to create a smooth roux. Whisk in the milk, miso, smoked paprika, garlic granules, and some seasoning and simmer for 5 mins. Remove from the heat, put in a blender, and blitz until smooth. Transfer to a clean saucepan and reheat over a low-medium heat, stirring regularly.
- Meanwhile, cook the spaghetti in a large pan of boiling water for 10-12 mins or until al dente, adding the peas for the last 3 mins. Drain then return the spaghetti and peas to the pan. Pourover the creamy sauce, then add the capers and mushroom 'bacon'. Mix well, then serve immediately sprinkled with the parsley.