Winter squash refers to the type of squash that is grown through summer and harvested in late autumn. They are generally stored and used during the winter months, butternut and crown prince are just two common examples.
This risotto is a great dish to showcase winter squash, it’s
a simple recipe to follow with few ingredients but it looks and tastes amazing.
- 30g Butter
- 250g of Shredded roast chicken
- 400g Arborio rice
- 350g Winter Squash (peeled / cubed)
- 150g Peas
- 1ltr Chicken stock (made from 1 low sodium stock cube)
- 1 Clove of garlic
- 1 large white onion (diced)
- 1 Glass of white wine
- 1/2 lemon
- 150g Grated Parmesan
1. Peel & cube the
squash. Coat with a little oil & place onto a backing try. Place into a pre-heated oven at 200 C / Gas 6 for 15 minutes.
2. Melt the butter in a large frying pan. Finley dice the onion and garlic, add to the pan and gently fry until soft but not browned.
3. Add the arborio rice to the pan and mix thoroughly with the onions ensuring the rice is evenly coated with the butter. Cook for 2-3 minutes.
4. Add the glass of wine and stir until the rice absorbs the liquid.
5. Now add 250ml of the stock, continually stirring until the rice absorbs the liquid. Repeat this process twice more until you are left with 250ml of stock.
6. Add in the roasted squash and peas along with the last 250ml of stock, again continue to stir until the rice has absorbed more liquid and becomes tender.
7. Remove from the heat. Stir in the parmesan and juice from half a lemon, cover and leave for 5 minutes